Thursday, September 11, 2008

A little relief...

...goes a long way. After a very trying weekend of attempting to get caught up on my classes, unsuccessfully, I decided to drop the lab portion of my Organic Chemistry class. There was just no way to stay caught up in the lectures and complete the lab report, and upcoming pre-lab assignments. Something had to give, and so the lab went.

Wow, what a difference. For one, now I have an entire extra day to get things done rather than being in the lab -- AND -- I have less to worry about getting done in more time. Whew! Even still, this week I've spent hours going over problems and memorizing the nomenclature (naming molecules/compounds for those who aren't familiar with the word) for this chapter. I'm still not completely caught up, but at least now I feel like I actually understand what's going on in my classes. This may mean a delay by a year in completing this degree, but that's ok. I'm likely to go on for my Master's anyway, so it's not like I wouldn't have been in school still anyway. Luckily, I have the luxury to take my time in getting this degree. I just don't want to be in school forever just for the B.A though, so hopefully I can handle the lab next year with my other non-lab classes. We'll see.

We're also getting relief here in terms of temperatures (yay!). This week, all of the high temps are below 100!! Some of you may be scratching your head at that statement, but for here, it's a bit unusual. With the departure of the humid monsoons, we normally get a week or so of very high temps, like around 110 or sometimes higher, right around this time of year. This year, it seems the monsoon is lingering which is great for keeping temps at a far more comfy 96-98F. Even with the added humidity, it's ok, since the sun is not so bright, and we're getting breezy winds (that are actually kinda coolish). I was stunned this morning to turn on my shower spiget and actually have to wait for the water to warm up. Typically, we don't have any cold water all summer into October. What a delight to feel cool, tepid water from the tap this morning.

The slightly-freed-up schedule and lower temps have made workouts all the more easier this week. I even did a short but sweet fartlek workout on Sunday which was fun. Just about 1/4 mile bursts at under 10mpm pace (9:32 - 9:53), which is great as I haven't seen paces that low for well over a year now, before getting sick last January. I haven't done consistent speed workouts since Spring of 2007 and am looking forward to really cooler temps so I can get those back in regularly.

I'm most excited, however, to finally have gotten my husband out walking. We went out for our first 'walk' this morning. I didn't want to push him really, but couldn't resist doing so just a little in the middle of the walk. We walked for 2 miles in 34 minutes. He claims I'm trying to kill him. I'm chuckling under my breath (not really, he could still hear me), but I don't want him to get discouraged, so I'm going to take it very easy on him until he gets more into the habit. Then I'll push him!!

Knitting wise, I'm still still still working on that cardigan. I'm now about 1/2 way done with the first sleeve, so not much more to go. I have sock yarn that is just screaming at me to be dyed, knit, etc., but I'm being good and resisting until I can get this monkey off my back. I must say though, that it's turning out really nice. The pattern is very easy, and the yarn (Southwest Trading Company's Therapi) is fantastic. Soft, smooth like buttah!

So that's the update for this week. Hopefully next week I'll have a pic of the finished (!) cardigan.

Onward!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It's great that you have a livable schedule now. Why make yourself miserable working on things that you enjoy so much when having a little breathing room is so much better!

Runningstitch said...

Couldn't have said it better Lisa! And indeed, the extra breathing room felt great this week.